Who are you? If someone posed that question to you, how would you respond? Would your answer begin with your résumé --that is, what you do, or have done, to earn a living. If so, what about if/when you can no longer do what you do? Would you then be nobody? How often do we define ourselves by our work resumes? What about our life resumes--our legacies? On our life journeys, are we both resume builders and legacy builders? For some, the work they do for a living will ultimately be part of their legacy. Their work by its very nature will change or impact others' lives. But what about those of us whose work doesn't have such an impact on others? What will be our legacy? Are we doing anything other than what's necessary to sustain our lifestyles? Are we making a positive difference in the lives of others? Or is it all about us and ours? On the path to building our work resumes, it's worth making time to find and live our life purpose--something that serves others. Because when it's all said and done, our resumes will be discarded. Legacies live on.

Comments

Doreen
10/30/2012 12:52pm

Thanks for that provoking question . It really makes you stop and think,because sometimes we are so proud of our resume,the first
thing we want people to know is what we do.You are right,the legacy is the lasting inpact maker.

Natalie
10/30/2012 7:22pm

Living abroad I observed that people rarely asked me what I did--even after several interactions. They were interested in the kind of person I am. That made me much more conscious of how I describe myself and my life's footprints.

Denyce
10/30/2012 4:51pm

No matter where we are, we touch lives for the better or worse. That is why how we carry ourselves and how we treat people matters. We plant seeds as soon as we walk in the door. Our legacy should be our lives including what we "do for a living", to pay our bills.

Natalie
10/30/2012 7:07pm

Good points, Denyce. Thanks.

Estelle
11/02/2012 7:22pm

I think the legacy we leave with others will ultimately depend on our interaction with God. The more one interacts with God, the less one thinks about one's self and the more one thinks of others.

Trust me, I've been on both sides of the issue -- too often.

Jean
11/13/2012 12:12am

Wow, you always give us food for thought. So often we do want people to know "who we are at work". When work is done, we have no identity. I hope that my children and grandchildren are able to carry on my legacy by continuing to live the life that I tried to live.

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.